Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sundance 2009

In my nocturnal adventure in the earlier hours of this morning (I'm no longer calling myself an insomniac, since that implies I can't sleep; I suppose nocturnal approaching vampiric is increasingly more appropriate), I was taken by a strikingly fantastic idea: I want to go to the Sundance Film Festival, January 2009!

Why did I not realize this is in Utah? Because of Cannes Film Festival, why did I assume all independent film festivals are held in crazy Bohemian locations around Europe?

Well. I am making this happen. All I need is a car and a few willing friends to join me along the way; I think two weeks: road trip via Austin and Albuquerque, attend the festival, do some epic skiing, and camp the canyon country of the southwest states on the way home. It sounds like a wildest dream come true.

To fuel my inspiration I watched some
amusing shorts on the Sundance site. I found "Learning to Skateboard" to be the most poignant in its humor. It's like a mini-politicized "Office Space," except rather than just plain boredom with the status quo, this guy blames 'the man' and 'the bourgeoise' finding liberation and freedom in being a 30 year old kid refusing to acknolwedge the world around him; of course his bliss is only his ignorance. Nonetheless it's funny. It's funny cause it's true.

This morning as I walked into work, the air smelled of something sweet. It's forecasted to storm later this afternoon, but it wasn't just the pre-rain damp air smell. I stopped and looked around me, and under my feet I found thick luscious dark green grass! Freshly cut! How did they do that? Must be some hyper fertilizer. Nonetheless it's wonderful. It's wonderful cause it's spring time.

No comments: